Part of the 2016 Brain to Books Cyber Convention SF Blog Tour.
Who is Kate?
Kate M. Colby is an author of science fiction, fantasy, and nonfiction. Her first series, Desertera, consists of steampunk dystopian novels with themes of socio-economic disparity, self-empowerment, romance, and revenge.
In Her Own Words
My storytelling adventures began when I was three years old. During nightly reading time, I would recite my story books to my mom, often adding my own embellishments. When I turned seven, I wrote my first picture book in school. My teacher encouraged me to keep writing, and I did.
I obtained my Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, Creative Writing, and Sociology. Through my studies at Baker University, as well as the tutelage of my talented professors, I found my creative purpose: to combine my love of the English language with my passion for culture and the human experience.
I believe great fiction should do three things. First, it should transport you to an imaginative new realm (Personally, I’m fond of apocalypses.). Second, the plot should contain enough suspense, action, and/or romance to make your heart race. Last, a good book should leave you thinking long after you finish it. I strive to write this kind of fiction.
By day, I am a copywriter at a wine marketing firm. By night (when I’m not working on my writing or business), I enjoy playing video games (I’m a PlayStation kid), binge watching TV shows, antiquing, and sampling wines from around the world—all with my husband, Daniel N. Gullotta, who is an aspiring American religion scholar. We also enjoy traveling and doting on our feline son, Thomas.
About The Cogsmith’s Daughter (Desertera #1)
In a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland, one king rules with absolute power and unquenchable lust, until the cogsmith’s daughter risks everything for vengeance.
Two-hundred years ago, the steam-powered world experienced an apocalyptic flood. When the waters dried up, the survivors settled around their moored steamship in a wasteland they named Desertera. Believing the flood and drought were caused by a scorned goddess, the monarchs demanded execution for anyone who commits the unforgivable sin—adultery.
Today, King Archon entraps his wives in the crime of adultery, executing each boring bride to pursue his next infatuation. Most nobles overlook King Archon’s behavior, but when Lord Varick’s daughter falls victim to the king’s schemes, he vows revenge.
When Aya Cogsmith was a young girl, King Archon had her father executed for treason. Orphaned and forced to turn to prostitution for survival, Aya dreams of avenging her father’s death. When Lord Varick approaches Aya with plans for vengeance, she agrees to play the king’s seductress—even though it puts her at risk for execution.
Packed with high-society intrigue, dappled with seduction, and driven by revenge, The Cogsmith’s Daughter is a new adult steampunk dystopian novel with the perfect mixture of conspiracy and romance.
Where to Find Kate
- Website: http://www.KateMColby.com
- Amazon Author Profile: http://www.amazon.com/Kate-M.-Colby/e/B015UF01M6
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/KateMColby
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AuthorKateMColby
- Twitter (@KateMColby): http://www.twitter.com/KateMColby
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/KateMColby
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/KateMColby
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/+KateMColby
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/KateMColby
Where to Find The Cogsmith’s Daughter (Desertera #1)
Available in ebook and paperback at these fine retailers.
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26499463-the-cogsmith-s-daughter
- Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TUD7WS
- Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cogsmiths-Daughter-Desertera-1-ebook/dp/B015TUD7WS
- Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-cogsmiths-daughter-kate-m-colby/1122713259
- iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id1043808485
- Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-cogsmith-s-daughter-desertera-1
- Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/580266
- Signed paperback copies can be purchased directly from Kate here: http://katemcolby.com/books